Airframe producers, and producers of associated tools resembling flight instrumentation, should adjust to stringent authorities and business requirements to make sure that airplanes can endure in-flight lightning strikes safely.
A lot evaluation has been performed so as to characterize the way wherein lightning impinges upon metallic and composite airframes. It’s now attainable to precisely simulate lightning hits inside a testing lab, for parts and for whole airframes.
The testing customary was developed by RTCA (Radio Technical Fee for Aeronautics), and the present revision is named DO-160G; the portion relevant to lightning testing is Part 22. The requirements are below persevering with revision to account for altering manufacturing strategies and supplies, and enhancements in understanding of climate phenomena.
The Thermo Scientific ECAT Lightning System (LTS) was developed to afford testing personnel secure, handy technique of testing to DO-160 with dependable, reproducible outcomes.
This modular system contains a caster-mounted mainframe, a computerized controller part, and detachable modules which might be particular to the varied waveforms and single- or multi-stroke necessities referred to as out within the testing customary. It’s utterly configurable to simply and quickly check for pulsed EMI threats, together with pre-compliance, manufacturing sampling, and ultimate compliance. It exams each Metallic and Composite Plane to Degree 5 (5A/5B), waveforms 1 by way of 6, and is well expandable to satisfy Boeing, Airbus, EUROCAE, and different necessities.
The fully-automated system options quick check set-up, intuitive programming, built-in voltage and present monitoring, and entrance panel and distant pc management. On-site calibration and area service is on the market worldwide.
The obtainable LTS Surge Community modules and related tools embrace:
* D111-1 Present Probe: measures present to 5kA; 0.1V/A; max rms present 65A with usable risetime from 20ns
* D301X Present Probe: Present measurements to 50kA; 0.01V/A ±1%; max rms present 400A with usable risetime from 200ns
* D561-L3: Waveform 5A to Lvl 3, observe 1
* D561-L4: Waveform 5A to Degree 4, observe 1
* D561-L5: Waveform 1, 4, 5A to Degree 5, observe 1
* D562-L3: Waveform 2 to Lvl 3, observe 1
* D562-L4: Waveform 2 to Degree 4, observe 1
* D562-L5: Waveform 2 to Lvl 5, observe 1
* D563-L3: Waveform 3 to Degree 3, observe 2
* D563-L4: Waveform 3 to Degree 4, observe 2
* D563-L5: Waveform 3 to Lvl 5, observe 2
* D564-L3: Waveform 5B to Degree 3, observe 1
* D564-L4: Waveform 5B to Degree 4, observe 1
* D564-L5: Waveform 5B to Degree 5, observe 1
* D566-L5: Waveforms 1 and 4 to Degree 5, observe 1
* D567-L3: Waveform 5A to Degree 3
* D567-L4: Waveform 5A, Degree 4
* D567-L5: Waveform 5A, Degree 5, single-stroke functionality
* D568 Present Waveform Module: Pin-Injected Transient Susceptibility testing to Boeing D6-16050-5 and equal Airbus customary; consists of transformer
* D569: Waveform 6 to Degree 5, multiburst necessities of DO-160, and Boeing and Airbus requirements
* D570 Voltage Spike Module: Airbus ABD0188.8.131.52/DO160 part 17, single stroke, stage 4
* D591 Powered Pin Coupler Module: ECAT-LTS
* D591-1 Energy Decoupler: 0-400Hz, 0-244 VAC/20A, 0-285 VDC/10A
* DCHV-1 Cable Induction Coupler: Waveform 3
* DCI-1 Cable Induction Coupler: Waveforms 1, 5A, 5B
* DCV-1 Cable Induction Coupler: Waveforms 2 and 4
* DPI-1 Pin Injection Probe: Waveforms 1,2,4,5A,5B
* F-LTS-5 Lightning Take a look at System Degree 5 Body: Mainframe/Controller
observe 1: single and a number of stroke check
observe 2: single-stroke, multiple-stroke and multi-burst check
Setup is fast – choose the waveform and push a button. Intuitive entrance panel controls enable easy waveform, voltage and coupling picks. The modular development permits for simple addition of latest waveform modules. This technique and parts can be found for buy/rental from Avalon.